WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

I have a job (as a remote coder from home) that I want to quit.

I have a job (as a remote coder from home) that I want to quit. My contract says I have to give 30 days notice. I have been offered another better paying job ($6.00/hr more) and they want me to start next week. Can I legally quit my current job for a better one without completing the thirty day notice to quit? I really need your help!

Thanks,
Laura
Expert:  WALLSTREETFIGHTER replied 1 year ago.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETLAW :

In your contract does it state that if you fail to give 30 days notice, you can be sued?

WALLSTREETLAW :

Does the contract state you are an at will employee?\

Customer:

I don't see that anywhere. Can I send you an attachment?

WALLSTREETLAW :

Michigan is an at will state, meaning an employer can terminate any employee at anytime, and an employee can leave at anytime without notice,

WALLSTREETLAW :

they only way the employer can sue you for not giving proper 30 days notice, is if the contract states that you can be sued for damages if you leave with less notice, which is rare,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you would have to paste or type the contract language for me to review

WALLSTREETLAW :

there is no law that provides that an employee must provide any notice of resignation.

Customer:

So they can't do anything to me! Thanks so much! I don't think I need to send you the contract. Thanks again. Are we done now?

WALLSTREETLAW :

if there is no such language, you are fine

WALLSTREETLAW :

Usually the 30 days notice is a courtesy for employers,

Customer:

Okay, I appreciate your help! I'll be giving you a high rating!

WALLSTREETLAW :

so they can transfer assignments to new employees,

Customer:

I would do that if I could but I don't have time.

WALLSTREETLAW :

What you may want to do is,

WALLSTREETLAW :

is send a letter now, stating due to a family emergency

WALLSTREETLAW :

you have to leave,

WALLSTREETLAW :

this way, you may be able to leave in good terms,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and receive a positive reference from them,

WALLSTREETLAW :

Not for thirty days,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you state you would no longer work after friday

Customer:

I wanted to be honest with them. But maybe I'll do that and hope they never find out differently. It's a small world!

WALLSTREETLAW :

Yes, be aware that the employer does not have to give you any 30 days notice to terminate you either,

WALLSTREETLAW :

so you should do what is best for you,

WALLSTREETLAW :

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

That is exactly right! Thanks for your advice!

Customer:

Okay, have a good day!

WALLSTREETLAW :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback. Thank you

Customer:

I will : )

WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience: 14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney