Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I am in dispute of around 1000$ with certain business. They

Customer Question

I am in dispute of around 1000$ with certain business. They say they might sue me, if I do not pay. They will probably sue in MA (or possibly in RI). My question is, since the amount in dispute is so small, if they choose to sue, will they have to go to small claims court or they can go to higher court?
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

They can choose to sue you in a higher court, but would most likely sue you in small claims court since the amount is only $1,000.00.

The higher court has jurisdiction over these claims despite the small amount in controversy.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the answer

But can you also tell me in which other court they can go? so if they choose not go to small claims, they probably have to go to one of the district court rights? Or is there any other court they can choose?

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad you wrote back, because upon a closer inspection of the rules in these states, it is a bit different than in most other states:

In both Massachusetts or Rhode Island they can file suit only in District Court and either ask that the District Court sit as a small claims court, or ask that it sit as a regular court, which would mean that the rules of civil procedure and evidence apply. The courts may decide on their own that they want to treat the case as a small claims case.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.