How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

US Criminal Law Question....How do I prosecute a potential

Resolved Question:

US Criminal Law Question....How do I prosecute a potential fraud suit ın the USA.I was induced to part company with $50k on the pretext to whom I wired the money was going to acquire rights to a certain technology. The party receiving the money even sent me a quote from alleged legal document indicating that he has acquired the rights. Subsequently the owner of the rights confirmed that he had not received the aforementionend $50k and the partial contract agreement sent to me was a fake.What can I do? Report the matter to the police and if so where? Go straight to the FBI? What are my options? I have a very complete file---emails, bank wire transfer details etc.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Your options lie in both civil court and in the criminal law.

Did you ever actually meet the person in person to whom you sent this money?

How did you find out about this deal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know the person very,very well.I was the Chairman of his company for 5 years. And the fraud is related to that company....I have numerous dealings with him but this is one where he ripped me off. I am right on top of what he did but need to know how to bring him to justice.The 50 grand is important but not the prime reason for going after this person.Forget civil so it's criminal or nothing!.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Let me caution you on your expectations first. The law enforcement agencies routinely refuse to prosecute criminal fraud and/or thefts that are related to business transactions and breaches of contracts, and will generally refer you to the civil courts to enforce on your own.

That being said, we need to determine if a federal crime or a state crime has been committed.

Do you live in the same state as the person who took the money?

Did the money cross state lines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am now a permanent resident of Turkey but was living in the UK at the time the fraud was committed. I am a British citizen but had US citizenship when the fraud etc. I renounced my US citizenship in May 2012. The money was sent from Utah to Georgia. It was sent from my personal account to a corporate account ''controlled'' by the perprator albeit that his son and daughter are the directors. This is a tax shield and he already has big problems with the IRS. The $50k was supposed to go to a company in Texas to purchase additional distribution rights for a technology owned by said company.The perpetrator confirmed the money had been sent to the company and showed me an alleged addendum to the existing distribution rights agreement allegedly. Later it became clear that the company in Texas had not received the money and that the addendum was a forgery. Over the past year iy has become clear that said perpetrator is not much more than a fraudster and conman. He is being chased by shareholders of the UK company that I was Chairman for having pocketed almost a $1 million of shareholders funds. He stole almost $1 million from me by offering to act as bailee for antiques and valuables to that approx value and then not returning them. Apaprently his Father was shot by unhappy business associates and he's a disbarred attorney. I KNOW that he has not declared several million of income to the IRS. This will give you some idea of what I'm trying to deal with and why the civil route would be a waste of time and money. This guy knows how to avoid conviction on that front...I am hoping that the ''50k fraud'' is so well documented that if we can get a criminal investigation underway and help me and others bring this crook to justice. I do hope you will have the time and inclination to give some real thought to this puzzle and be able to give me some guidance of how to make some progress towards the end objective.Many thanks.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response.

This kind of criminal action needs to be reported to the FBI and the SEC.

You may report a crime to the FBI by contacting:

You may report a crime to the SEC, which enforces violations of stock holder protection statutes, at‎

When you contact both of these and make a report, you want to get the complaint number. Then you want to tell the investigator that you have a complete file that builds the case against the perpetrator and you want to get a name and address of where you can send the file to each Agency.

At that point, the investigator takes it and decides whether or not to investigate further. If an investigation is completed, it is next transferred to the Department of Justice who will request a warrant for the man's arrest if they believe the case is worthy of prosecution.

If you really want to push this through, the best thing to do would be to hire a Washington DC law firm that specializes in white collar crime. They will have contacts within the SEC and FBI that they can utilize to press the charges and make sure that the matter is adequately investigated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excellent...Any thoughts on a Washington DC white collar crime law firm?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
We can't make a direct recommendation, but I can say that some of the big national firms would be best on this type of project.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.