TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I HAVE A SMALL CAR LOT AND A FORMER FRIEND AND I HAD AN AGREEMENT

Customer Question

I HAVE A SMALL CAR LOT AND A FORMER FRIEND AND I HAD AN AGREEMENT FOR HIM TO FINANCE SOME BUY HER PAY HERE LOANS..HE HAS NO LICENSES AND I HAVE ALL OF THEM...WE WOULD SPLIT THE PROFIT ON THE DEALS AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE UNTILL LAST OCT WHEN HE STARTED DOING THE SAME THING WITH A FORMER EMPLOYEE OF MINE AND STOPPED DOING IT WITH ME...NEITHER OF THESE 2 GUYS HAVE A DEALERS OR FINANCE LIC..I HAVE TALKED TO SOME PEOPLE AND THEY TELL ME SEEING AS NONE OF THE CONTRACTS HAVE BEEN SIGNED OVER TO MY FRIEND THAT THE CONTRACTS AND PAYMENTS SHOULD BELONG AND BE PAID TO ME AND I OWE MY FRIEND FOR THE TITLES THAT I HAD A LIEN PUT ON WHEN WE DID THE DEALS ....WHO REALLY OWNS THE CONTRACTS AND WHO SHOULD GET THE PAYMENTS...I THINK I MIGHT OWE HIM FOR THE CARS AND THE CONTRACTS ARE MINE...THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ANSWER.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I need you to clear a few things up for me:

You say you had an "agreement" with your friend who was financing the purchases. Did you have this agreement in writing?

Also, if you had the license, where were the cars being kept and who had the actual titles?

Finally, how can the titles be changed to the buyers name if the title was in your name?

I look forward to hearing back from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I RESPONED BUT NO ANSWER

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but your response did not post. Can you please repost it? I'm standing by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WE HAD A VERBERAL AGREEMENT ONLY...I HAD ALL THE LICENSES DUE TO HAVING A SMALL CAR LOT...I PUT THE LIENS ON THE TITLES TO PROTECT MY FORMER FREIND.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
OK. This kind of verbal agreement can be enforced, but it's not easy.

If the cars were being purchased and sold under your license, and you have your name on the lien on the titles, then you have a right to seek payment for your half of the profit, according to your verbal agreement.

They are acquiring the cars by using your license, correct?

And they are selling the cars on your lot, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the liens are in favor of my friend ...the cars were sold at my lot by me...who owns the contracts and and the rights to the payments from the customers

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
As the cars are being sold under your dealership license on y our car lot, you own the contracts and the rights to be paid.

However, the fact is that you have put the car titles in the name of your friend. This was a bad move on your part, in addition to not having a contract.

The best thing you can do at this point is to hire a local lawyer to sue your friend for fraud and breach of contract, and to send a demand for the payments that your friend has illegally isolated from you.

You also need to block your friend from coming onto your car lot and demand that he immediately surrender all the car titles to the vehicles which are on your lot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

who is legally able to collect the payments until this legal mess is settled

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
OK. Let's back up a little bit.

Do you know if he is using a contract to sell the vehicles? If so, the person named on the contract as the seller is the one who is able to legally collect on the accounts.

Are you named on the contract, or is he?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'M THE SELLER...HE IS ONLY LISTED AS THE LIEN HOLDER...THE CONTRACTS HAVE NEVER BEEN ASSIGNED TO ANY ONE...JUST BLANK FOR ME TO ASSIGN TO SOMEONE...THE ONLY PLACE HIS NAME APPEARS IS ON THE TITLE APP AND THE TITLE WHEN THE TAG WORK IS DONE...

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
If you are the seller, then you have the right to collect on the the contracts by the very fact that you are listed as a party in the contracts. He cannot collect from the buyer as he is not a party to the purchase agreement.
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I WAS TOLD THAT HE CAN COLLECT ON THE CONTRACTS BECAUSE HE PAID FOR SOME OF THE CARS WE DID AND I'M IN RISK BECAUSE I DIDNT CHECK TO SEE IF HE HAD PROPER LICENSES

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IS THERE ANY WRITTEN LAW OR STATUE THAT STATES THIS..THIS THE LAST QUESTION ...THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP SO MUCH

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
There is no written law/statute that is going to apply specifically to your situation.

In your situation, you (the car dealer) are listed as the seller in an automobile purchase agreement. Under that agreement, the buyer owes the payment for the car to you. The fact that your former friend helped finance the purchase of the vehicles does not mean that he has a right to collect the money directly. He has a right to collect from you, and if you fail to collect from the buyer, he can then try to enforce against the buyer as a "third party beneficiary". But the buyer does not owe him this money until there is a determination by the court that your former friend is in fact a third-party beneficiary as to this specific vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MY REPLY ON JUNE 10 WAS NOT ANSWERED ABOUT AM I AT RISK OR FAULT NOT CHECKING HIS LICENSE.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by "not checking his license."

My understanding of your situation is that you and your former friend had an agreement wherein you had a dealership license and he had money to finance the purchase of vehicles to sell on your lot.

He doesn't need a license to enter into this deal with you, and you are not liable for that. However, he cannot sell the vehicles without having a dealer license. That's why you are listed on the purchase agreements.

You've told me before that on the title, your former friend is listed as the lien holder rather than you as the dealer. This whole deal is not correct. You should be listed on the title, not your friend. But your friend is responsible for making sure he has a license, not you. So if he is trying to cut you out of these deals, you can report him to the state for selling without a dealership license.