Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

We live in Oklahoma. My husband took a friend who lives with

We live in Oklahoma. My husband took a friend who lives with us to the hospital with a medical emergency and signed the patient responsibility form. The friend is not related to us and it looks like this will be surgery that could cost as much as $100k and he has no insurance or job. Are we responsible for this bill?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this difficult situation.

If your husband voluntarily signed the patient financial responsibility form for this friend, unfortunately your husband will be legally liable for any medical bills related to this friend and he would need to make sure that he does provide hospital with a written notice that he is no longer consenting to being financially liable for this friend's medical bills, however your husband would still be responsible for any medical costs prior to the notice of withdrawal of his consent to be responsible for this friend's hospital bills.

Once again, I am sorry about this situation and I wish you and your family the best of luck!