Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law

Ok, my wife was told by another person that a co-worker was

Ok, my wife was told by another person that a co-worker was a prostitute. My wife then told the co-worker"s mother what other people were saying about her daughter. My wife then told a few customers about the conversation. She hears the daughter might file a slander lawsuit against her. Is it slanderous repeating this ?

Slander involves making a factual statement that you know, or should know, to be false. Based on the information you have provided, it sounds like there may be a couple defenses to a slander lawsuit.

First, it sounds like your wife repeated the statements along the lines of, "Someone told me that...." If this is the case, the allegation is not being stated as fact, it is being stated as the speculation of another person.

Second, you have not yet stated whether the allegation is true. Meaning, you have not stated whether this woman is, in fact, a prostitute. If she is a prostitute, then that would be an absolute defense to a slander lawsuit.

While it's speculative on my part, my thought is that the woman is bluffing. As you can imagine, it is a pretty frequent occurrence for a person to threaten lawsuit, it is much less frequent for the person to actually follow through. Additionally, filing a lawsuit would only bring more attention to the allegation, something this woman probably does not desire.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.