Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
20011183

My wife made a statement about a co-worker concerning her promiscuity

My wife made a statement about a co-worker concerning her promiscuity to another co-worker. Can that be slander as far as the laws concerned?

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

It's only slander or defamation of character if the statement was false.

To be liable, legally, under that theory of law, you have to make a false statement of fact (rather than an opinion statement).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, what if she said, " she's a whore ". Now we know she's not a whore because they work the same job together. But it was said while she was upset with this person and only said it to another worker.

Ok. Then it very technically could be slander.

That being said, she would have to prove that your wife meant the term "whore" as the term specifically for someone that is paid for sex rather than simply the derogatory sense....as someone that sleeps around (because if she just meant that AND the person sleeps around, it's a true statement).

Furthermore, if she just told one person in anger, the lady would have a very difficult time proving that she has been damaged by the comment.

Honestly, suing for slander anymore is a lost cause. You usually spend more money on the attorney than you get in return. Even finding an attorney that would sue for that is going to be difficult, if not impossible.