Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I worked at Sanford-Brown College up until Friday. They are

Customer Question

I worked at Sanford-Brown College up until Friday. They are closing our campus. Back in October (before the decision to close the school) Corporate (Career Education Corporation) came to about 6 of us and stated that we needed to obtain our Associate's degree or lose our jobs. They said they would except our transfer credits from our previous Medical Assisting school and that in addition we would need to complete the Associate degree classes they offer on our campus and we had only 6 months to do so. 4 of us agreed to do so because we did not want to lose our jobs! I graduated in March, however, this past Wednesday (May 29, 2013) I was pulled into the campus directors office (as were the other 3 at separate times), along with the campus director, there was a VP from corporate present and one on the phone to be a part of the meeting. They told me that they will not be honoring me my degree, that now they will not except my transfer credits. They had legal documents printed up for me to sign that they would compensate me $3000 for my "troubles". The remaining 6+ pages of this "agreement" was all legal verbiage about how the "agreement" is not to be construed as them admitting that they violated any previous agreement and that by me signing I, my heirs, etc. are waiving any rights to sue. I of course REFUSED TO SIGN and informed them that I would be seeking an attorney for this matter! Upon that they told me my last day of employment was Friday (May 31, 2013) which up until then, my end date has always been July 11th. Now my severance agreement now states that if I sign and agree to get my severance...I am waiving my right to sue.....HELP!!
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Hello

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you information in this regard.

I am sorry that you are going through this and, of course, you have to realize that I may not have the definitive answer but can only provide true and correct answers to what you ask.

And so with that being said please tell me what your question is and what information I can provide for you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just want to know do I have a case/claim against my corporation/ school? They are now holding my severance pay over my head and stating now that unless I sign a "release of claims" promising not to sue, they will not pay out my severance pay. ???

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Hello

Thank you for the information

I suggest, that yes you would have a breach of contract - because you did what they required. The question is how much to you believe you could sue for - lost wages because they could fire you at will anyway - there is nothing that says they have to keep you on.

I suggest that you might be better taking the severance and moving on. But, of course, you might want to consult with a local attorney to see if they will want to take the matter on a contingency basis with their fee being a percentage of anything you might win in a settlement

Just because you have a basis to sue, does not mean you win. And so sometimes it is just best to take the money at hand and move on