CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Stayed with a friend! she agreed I could pay her rent when

Stayed with a friend! she agreed I could pay her rent when I was able.I moved in a lot of my personal belongings LARG RUGS LARGE MIRRORS BEDDING Ecesories.I had to move out because it just was'nt working! I owe 4,700 I was the three months. I dont have the finances write now she is keeping my things. I would like to know if she can do that!!
I did tell her I would pay her monhly untill I pay her off but she wants to keep my belongings
can you give me some advice
Thanks
Caroline

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would like to assist you with your legal problem today.

William B. Esq. :

Your friend cannot keep your personal belongings as collateral for rent. These are self help options that are not available to a landlord (your friend is considered a landlord in this circumstance). Without having a judgment and an order to levy personal property, she cannot withhold your personal property.

William B. Esq. :

You may still be liable for the remainder of the rent, and she does have the option to file a claim in small claims court for the rent due (after which she can get a judgment and enforce her rights that way). But she must turn over your property to you promptly upon demand. You may wish to follow up your oral demands with a formal (letter) written demand.

William B. Esq. :

Here is a very helpful publication by the California Department of Consumer Affairs that sets out the "step by step" process to recover your personal belongings in this exact type of situation: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/lt-4.shtml