Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Are ex parte motions and affidavits private? Can they be reviewed

Are ex parte motions and affidavits private? Can they be reviewed or read by the other party? My husband is appealing our divorce pro se and I saw his girlfriend filed an ex parte motion on our court's website. The court's website should only be available during regular court hours so that I don't look at it during the weekend. That was an attempt to be funny. Thank you! (I am in Ohio.)

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Ex-parte motions, if not sealed, are not generally private. The other party can indeed request the language of the motion as well as possibly seek a transcript (if one exists). Filing for an ex-parte generally still permits the other party to appear and defend the motion, it is just not generally necessary for the hearing to take place.

Hope that helps!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just got a note that my deposit was returned. I'm going to reread what I was supposed to do. I feel much better after your answer. My legal bills are approaching I think $40,000 and every penny has been worth it in this awful situation I am in. And I am grateful for our legal system that has understood completely the betrayals my husband has visited upon his family. Thank you!!

You are most welcome and I am glad that I was able to assist you. I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are going through such a legal nightmare and hope that you are able to get it concluded in some manner that permits you to never deal with this type of a situation again. Please be well and please let me know if I can assist further.