socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have 4 burial plots that were purchased in 1996 when my Mother

Customer Question

I have 4 burial plots that were purchased in 1996 when my Mother passed away. They were financed and I paid them off years ago.
Problem: My ex husband's name is XXXXX XXXXX title also and I cannot located him to have him sign a release. The funeral home director told me that I cannot even be buried in one of them without his signature. What can I do to get his name off?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

The only way to deal with your difficulties is by filing a lawsuit for partition and sale. The court would order the plots sold, you would receive your share, and your ex's share would be sent to the state uncollected property department, for recovery by your ex or his heirs/beneficiaries, should they ever determine that they had a right to the property.

This is not a claim that can be brought in a small claims court. You will need a lawyer.

For a competent real property or civil litigation attorney referral, see this link.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Hello again,

Is there a particular reason why you have chosen to punish me with a bad service rating for merely answering your question?

I would appreciate it if you would kindly explain the reason for your bad rating, because it doesn't make any sense to me. Perhaps your rating was an error. If not, then your explanation will assist me in better helping other customers in the future.

Thanks in advance.