Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I signed up a contract for a personal injury on the contingency

I signed up a contract for a personal injury on the contingency base. It has been three years. There were courts and a deposition. It does not look like the other side will make a settlement. When I asked my lawyer, what would be the worst case after losing the case, he said I would have to pay his legal fee. I do not understand why I have to pay for the fee although he would not win the case.

Can you explain what I should expect after losing this case?

Thank you.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What does your written contract with your attorney state regarding any legal fees or costs that you might be responsible for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was told I would not pay if he does not win. If he does, his fee will be 1/3 of the settlement.

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you have a copy of your written contract with this attorney?

What does the written contract state regarding any attorney's fees or other costs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now, my lawyer said I do not have to pay his legal fee.

But I would be responsible for the costs we have incurred(like hiring an engineer etc).

Medical payment does NOT get paid if I recover nothing.

It does get deducted and paid from anything I do recover (I do not understand this part)

I am wondering if I am also responsible for the court fees and a deposition. And if it is worth to proceed since it looks like the case will be lost.

Thank you.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, I do not know anything about your personal injury case, so I could not tell you whether you should proceed with it or not, this is a question to ask your local attorney.

Also, any costs that you might be liable for if you do not win the case, should be stated in your agreement with this attorney and you should review your agreement to determine what it states and which costs you have agreed to be liable for related to your case, even if you do not win your case.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney