Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I own a home health agency and am taking a pharmacy to small

I own a home health agency and am taking a pharmacy to small claims court for not paying us for nursing services we provided in Texas. My question is: can I use patient information in the case when presenting evidence to the judge?

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Yes, HIPAA doesn't prevent the use of information in court cases but what you should do is file a motion with the court and ask the court if you can submit the information "under seal" and have an order entered where that information is protected from public disclosure.