John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

In the State of Michigan, are Deposition Transcripts available

Customer Question

In the State of Michigan, are Deposition Transcripts available to the public during the Discovery and/or Case Evaluation process? If so, how would one go about obtaining the script and are records kept that identify individuals who have requested a copy?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

EmplmntLaw1 :

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. In Michigan the only way a transcript would bee become available to the public is if a party attached part or all of it to a pleading or paper they filed with the court. In which case, if you wanted that transcript, you'd have to go to the court and look through the filings of the particular case to determine if it is included in the filings. If it is - simply make a copy at the courthouse, and you can take it with you.

EmplmntLaw1 :

There are no records available as to who has requested or copied the documents filed in court - the documents are public information and no record is kept.

JACUSTOMER-0pmrb12s- :

How would someone obtain the transcript if they were out-of-State? Would one have to call the Court and request a copy be sent to them?

EmplmntLaw1 :

Do you know what court it is - some have the ability to download the documents from their websites. Another option would be to contact a court officer or process serving agency in the area of the court and hire them to go to the court and look for the particular information you are seeking.

EmplmntLaw1 :

You could call the court clerk and see if they are willing to copy the entire file for you and mail it to you. I'm doubtful they'd do that - they're really not accommodating in that respect...but it wouldn't hurt to try.

EmplmntLaw1 :

Has this answered your question, do you have any follow up questions or concerns?

EmplmntLaw1 :

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, and I wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.