Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Can civil charges (like judgments) be expunged from your record

Can civil charges (like judgments) be expunged from your record in Virginia. I have about 5 cases in Virginia were I was sued for a judgment against me however they were all dismissed. The credit agencies continue to pick them up and I continue to dispute them and send proof that ta judgment was never received. They will remove it and then about 3 months later they are back again. I know you can have criminal records expunged if you were found not guilt or it was dismissed. Can you do the same thing with civil charges? If so what paperwork is needed? These cases are all over 5 years old.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that civil cases, unlike dismissed criminal cases, cannot be expunged or removed from the records. There is no mechanism or even provision in the Code of VA that would allow you to do something like that.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.