Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

HI I am Mike you helped me with a question on my second mortgage

Customer Question

HI I am Mike you helped me with a question on my second mortgage collection problem last night. I was told that in june 2011 they changed the law that stipulates the 6 month statute and changed it to 6 years from foreclosure date so I guess I am paying unless that's not true dang it
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Mike, and Welcome to JustAnswer, Thank you for requesting me.

I do not know who told you about the 6 years. I researched your question before giving you an Answer, but I will be glad to look at Nevada law again and get right back to you in a few minutes.

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you supposedly June 2011 is the deal it was an attorney that got back to me today that I contacted before I contacted just ask thanks again

Mike, I am still looking. What is confusing is that I found the "180 day" rule which is 6 months and I just saw something that referred to 6 years. I feel terrible about this because I always double check my work before giving an Answer and to be even more sure, I ran it past a colleague and she said the same thing - 6 months. I might not have an Answer for you tonight because I have to look at several more things.

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That would be great thank you. And just to let you know I am not trying to be a dead beat. I just would have not paid off the bills with the foreclosure settlement and offered them 15000 they probably would have taken it and I would have just kept making my payments. Oh well please get back to me when you can Thanks

Mike, I certainly would not describe you as a "dead beat". I know how much these lenders make from us in interest on these mortgage loans!

1. Tell me, was the first mortgage a "mortgage" or a "Deed of Trust" ?

2. Was the second mortgage a "mortgage" or "Deed of Trust" ?

3. Was the foreclosure by the first Mortgagee (Chase ) a Judicial or Non-Judicial foreclosure ? (Did Chase file with the Court and serve you with a Complaint in Mortgage Foreclosure, Or was a Trustee holding the Deed and Chase simply sold it in a NonJudicial foreclosure ?)

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I fell asleep. I am not sure. All I know at this point is I kept submitting everything that was asked for paperwork for the modification and every 2 weeks there would be papers taped to the front door and the company hired couldn't get the modification done. I will go through my papers to see if I can answer your questions if I don't have that info do you know how I would find out I will absolutely tip you well for your help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess the other thing that dose not make sense is if the foreclosure was done right why did I get a check for 31200 dollars while most people are getting 300 or 3000 or 1200 dollars

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

at one point I started to file bankruptcy to slow down foreclosure my bankruptcy papers say first loan was secured by first deed of trust second was secured by second deed of trust

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi actually no papers where ever handed to me ever they where always posted on the door my ex wife was living in the home we where divorcing but I was trying to keep the kids in there home but the mortgages where I'm my name only I was never served in person ever
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi did you get my response from earlier today

Hi, Mike,

I cannot tell you how many countless hours of research I did over the last two days, even reading the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. I had given up hope that I would find what I was looking for, but my mind just wouldn't let it go because this would have been the first time in 25 years of practicing law that I would have to say that I could not find the answer.

There were several things which puzzled me and did not make sense, one of them being 6 years, but could not find in what context that was used. Therefore, I had taken into consideration the items I listed below and suggested a different approach, posted my Answer, but still could not let it go. You can read the issues that were puzzling me and below them I have reprinted the Nevada Statute that I found just after I posted my other Answer, most of which I deleted and replaced with this.

1. In a Deed of Trust situation, where there is a non-judicial foreclosure and the house is sold by the Trustee, there is usually no right to any deficiency judgment. So, here, the 6 months makes sense;

2. With certain exceptions, although it is not always necessary for the first mortgagee to give notice of the sale to second mortgagees and other junior lienholders, they usually do give them notice. I cannot be sure of what the first mortgagee did, but I am almost positive that they gave notice to the second mortgagee. This would also make the 180-Day rule make more sense, i.e., if junior lienholders have notice of the sale, they should either step in to protect their interests or sue the borrower within 180 days after the first mortgagee has sold the property, or else be forever barred from taking any action;

3. Although the first mortgagee does not have to pay over any excess of sale proceeds to junior lienholders, they usually do, but in your instance, they paid it over to you and in almost the amount that the collection agency is willing to "settle" which I find very strange and not coincidental;

4. Mortgage lenders do not normally sell their accounts to collection agencies like their credit card divisions would do and as credit card companies almost always do, so I found it very odd that a collection agency is involved in a mortgage (Or, Deed of Trust) situation.

Another aspect of this situation which was also puzzling was that if the debt were enforceable, they would have the original Note and the original Deed of Trust with your address. Even though the Deed of Trust would not be worth anything since the security (house) is gone, it would still be attached and remain together with the Note. Since this would be the case, why would a collection agency make its first contact with the borrower by telephone since they would be required to verify that they met all the requirements of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act,

The "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" is applicable to mortgage lenders as well as credit card companies and other creditors. Section 809(a) of the Act provides that a collection agency is required to furnish the borrower with written notice within five (5) days of their first communication with the borrower, the information which I have listed below, unless it was provided in the initial communication

1. The amount of the debt;

2. The name of the creditor;

3. A statement that he will assume the debt's validity unless you dispute the debt within 30 days;

4. Send a verification or copy of the judgment if you dispute the debt within the 30 days;

5. Upon written request of the borrower, the collection agency must provide the borrower with the name and address of the original creditor.

___________________________________________________________________

Here is the relevant Nevada law which deals with junior lienholders (anything other than a first mortgage is a junior lienholder, including a second mortgagee); it is Nevada Revised Statutes §40.4638 and I have underlined certain parts only to call your attention to it as it relates to your situation,

NRS 40.4638  Circumstances under which action to enforce obligation is prohibited.

1.  A person to whom an obligation secured by a junior mortgage or lien on real property is owed may not bring any action to enforce that obligation after a foreclosure sale of the real property which secured that obligation or a sale in lieu of a foreclosure sale if:

(a) The person is a financial institution;

(b) The real property which secured the obligation is a single-family dwelling and the debtor or grantor was the owner of the real property at the time of the foreclosure sale or sale in lieu of a foreclosure sale;

(c) The debtor or grantor used the amount of the obligation to purchase the real property;

(d) The debtor or grantor continuously occupied the real property as the debtor’s or grantor’s principal residence after securing the obligation; and

(e) The debtor or grantor did not refinance the obligation after securing it.

2.  As used in this section, “financial institution” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 363A.050.

(Added to NRS by 2011, 1743)

NRS 40.4639  Period of limitation on commencement of civil action.

 A civil action not barred by NRS 40.430 or 40.4638 by a person to whom an obligation secured by a junior mortgage or lien on real property is owed to obtain a money judgment against the debtor after a foreclosure sale of the real property or a sale in lieu of a foreclosure sale aftmay only be commenced within 6 months after the date of the foreclosure sale or sale in lieu of a foreclosure.

(Added to NRS by 2011, 1743)

Those who are intimidated by my intelligence, call me "stubborn";

Those who are not intimidated, compliment me and call me "Tenacious" with a capital "T"

I do try my best to always be the best because one's work product is a reflection of their character and what they are made of,

_________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate "Excellent Service" so that I receive credit

for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

Mike, I see that you looked at my old Answer before I revised it. Please look at the Answer box above for my revised Answer. In case you cannot see it, I am reprinting the entire Answer again,

Hi, Mike,

1. The amount of the debt;

2. The name of the creditor;

(d) The debtor or grantor continuously occupied the real property as the debtor's or grantor's principal residence after securing the obligation; and

2.  As used in this section, "financial institution" has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 363A.050.

(Added to NRS by 2011, 1743)

(Added to NRS by 2011, 1743)

for assisting you,

ANDREA

Hi, Mike,

1. The amount of the debt;

2. The name of the creditor;

(Added to NRS by 2011, 1743)

 A civil action not barred by NRS 40.430 or 40.4638 by a person to whom an obligation secured by a junior mortgage or lien on real property is owed to obtain a money judgment against the debtor after a foreclosure sale of the real property or a sale in lieu of a foreclosure sale may only be commenced within 6 months after the date of the foreclosure sale or sale in lieu of a foreclosure.

(Added to NRS by 2011, 1743)

for assisting you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very thankful for you insight and help with this matter I'm getting this info on my I phone and in a few hours I will be leaving for a out of town job when I get settled at my hotel I'm going to print your responses and try to figure out my next step but most Important I will sit down and send a reply to you that states how helpful and professional you have been and I will let your company no how great you have been my only regret is that I wish I could retain your services to help me with this matter I'm sure ill be asking you more ? Soon which I will pay for just give me till this after noon to respond on my lap top computer

Hi, Mike,

I am hoping that you saw my revised Answer in which I had reprinted the Nevada Revised Statutes Sections that related to your situation. We have been experiencing some tech problems for the last two weeks which have caused some buttons we press to malfunction, including the "Answer" button I press to send you my Answer. Many have gotten lost and are flying aimlessly somewhere in cyberspace, so I was not sure if it reached you in its entirety when I sent it. Just so that there is no misunderstanding, neither I, nor any other Expert who Answer customers' questions work for JustAnswer, nor are we employees of any kind of JustAnswer, nor do we get paid by JustAnswer. But, JustAnswer encourages customers to communicate their satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the Expert who assisted them. So, please feel free to communicate your experience with me to JustAnswer. When a customer places a deposit, it is with JustAnswer, not the Expert giving the Answer. Many customers have that misconception and if they are unhappy with their Expert, they ask the Expert for a refund, but since we do not have their deposit, we have to redirect them to JustAnswer. I can certainly continue to help you, but we are not permitted to contact customers. I cannot stop a customer, however, from including their email in a reply. Many customers do that, but write everything out like the "at" symbol because I think that the computers are programmed to pick those up and they are automatically x'd out by the computer so that JustAnswer protects customers' privacy. But, you should not have to incur exorbitant legal fees and have to retain a lawyer because I doubt the collection agency would be stupid enough to file a lawsuit after receiving a carefully written powerful letter with some legal terminology. That alone should enlighten them to the fact that the individual has already spoken with a lawyer and they should know, or at least have a pretty good idea of what will happen, if they continue to harass you with collection calls. Let me know if you need help with that letter,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you please contact me at your convenience and will not go with out compensation no matter what channel it goes trough.Im working out of town but will be available XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Hi, Mike, Glad to hear from you again and hope your meetings out of town are going well. JustAnswer tries to protect each customer's privacy by discouraging posting of personal information such as last names, residence addresses, and email addresses, to name just a few because this is an open forum and anybody on the internet can access this information,including emails. I believe that the computers are programmed to x-out whatever is detected around the 'at' symbol in an email address, so your email address has been totally x'd out and we are prohibited from communicating with customers in any way,other than through this forum.therefore,I could not access your email. I am respectfully directing your attention to the Answer I sent you on 6/2/2013 at 8:29AM, Eastern Daylight Time, and specifically to the tenth and eleventh line, depending, of course, on how wide your computer screen is. That should explain and answer any questions you have on this subject.If you understand, then there is no need to repeat anything since our posts are sometimes read by 'higher-ups, or others who answer questions and for fun like to cause trouble.

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much again.it seems like there are many ways to interpret the laws.Its Monday morning here now so I'm sure ill be getting a call from them today I've gave them my info mb construction the numbers zero eight at yahoo we will see what happens I guess thank you again

Hi, Mike,

NRS Section ---- is ambiguous because it does not specify who is doing the foreclosing. As a general rule, the first mortgagee institutes foreclosure proceedings. However if he does not, the second mortgage, or any other junior lienholder can institute foreclosure proceedings and sell the property. The only problem is that the second mortgagee must use the sale proceeds to satisfy the first mortgagee before it takes any of the sale proceeds for itself;

2. The same ambiguity exists in NRS 40.4639.

Where is MB Construction located ? Did you start up your company in '08 ?

ANDREA