John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

I am involved in a lawsuit as the defendant regarding the payment

Customer Question

I am involved in a lawsuit as the defendant regarding the payment of monies owed(70,000.)and a summary judgement has been issued against me because my lawyer did not answer the complaint, in the allotted 20 day period, in time and now he is telling me that the only way that we can appeal is if I put a 70,000. lien on my home in favor of the plaintiff. Why do I have to give them a lien in order to file an appeal, can't we just file an appeal as a natural course?
Submitted: 3 years ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

EmplmntLaw1 :

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. It isn't totally necessary that you get a lien against your home or bond to file an appeal. To clarify, however, to stop the plaintiff from collecting on the judgment pending your appeal, you have to get a stay of execution from the court, which requires your positing bond. You can view the court rule Number 62 at this website.

EmplmntLaw1 :

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, and I wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.