Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

im a international student in NYS, I want to buy a car and

Customer Question

i'm a international student in NYS, I want to buy a car and drive, I will turn 16 this September, I will get the permit first, but the agency(the company helps me find host family) give me a hard time, in their policy: "You are not allowed to drive a car." But my host parents(My guardian in law) they dont mind if i drive, they even want me to drive. So if I drive, can they ask school to punish me? or Since I have a vaild Drive License, violate my legal rights? or is there anyway to persuade them to let me drive?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome to the United States and welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,

The company/agency which operates this international student program and finds host families for foreign students does not have the authority to tell your school to punish you. Even if the company did, in fact, tell the school to punish you, the school has no authority to impose punishment on any student for any activity in which the student is involved which takes place after school and outside of school property.

The problem arises in the rules imposed on you by the company and the restrictions it places on you. Take a look at all the documents and paperwork that the agency/company asked you or your natural parents to sign (Not your US guardians). It is important that you read this very carefully because they have set some rules which you must follow. Check these documents to see what happens to you if you violate any of the rules. The documents might state that if you violate any rules, they can disqualify you from the program and have your student visa revoked and if this happens, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service ("USCIS") can revoke your student visa and you would be required to leave the United States immediately.

So, it is very important that you read these documents very carefully to see how you will be affected if you violate any of their rules. If the rules say nothing about any penalties for any violation, then the agency/company cannot do anything to you or your student visa. To be on the safe side, have your US guardians read the documents also. In the United States we say, "Two heads are better than one" that is why I suggested that you have your US guardians read the documents also. You will be doubly sure that you are safe if neither you, nor your US guardians find any penalties listed.

________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate "Excellent Service" so that I receive credit

for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"International students at your U.S. school are not permitted to drive cars, even if you are able to do so at home.
You will travel with your home-stay family to school, local events, shopping, and for other venues to meet most
of your needs. Occasionally you may travel with other local students who have cars so long as you inform your
Host Family in advance."

its the copy from the agreement, But I didnt sign it, my birth parents didnt sign it too, the agency in China, they signed it, my English was not good enough to read the policy of the program, and when I ask them to translate it, the Chinese Agency told me it is not their responsibility. I know this policy when I went to school at first time. like 5months after I come to USA, now, I can understand what the policy is about. and I DID NOT SIGN IT. or its a very big deal, Can I suit them, maybe through the court to ask them allow us to drive?

If I can't, Can my birth parents come here, and give all the custody in USA to my host parents? they(my host family) would do that. then I dont go to school through agency? is that possible? If I can, Do I need my parents come here to do the paper works to give the custody to my host parents?

If I cant do both way to drive, if I ask my dad to do EB-5 program, since I have the Green Card, then do I need to worry about my green card revoked or something?

because EB-5 program has a very high risk, so its the worst way If I cant drive through anyway with my F-1 Visa.

my school is 45mins away from school, my host parents they have works to do too, everyone has work to do in this world, so there is no way to ask them to drive 45mins to school to pick me up, them drive 45mins back to home, its not possible to a family, then i cant join any clubs at all!!

please help me to find a way!! thanks

Here is the solution; Your parents in China can sign over Temporary Guardianship to your host parents. You can ask your host parents to have this document prepared. You can even find a form on the internet. Fill in as much information as you can about your parents. Then send it to them to sign in front of a Notary Public. This will give your host parents temporary guardianship. This means that your host parents can sign any document that would ordinarily require a parent's signature.

You can then go to the DMV with them, they can sign for you to get your learner's Permit. When you pass your driving test, you will still need the signature of your host parents as guardians because a signature is required for anyone under the age of 18 who is getting a license. And, you will be all set. You will have the permission of your host parents who will also be your guardians.

for assisting you,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you

You are very welcome, David, and Thank you for the "Excellent Service" rating and the Bonus, I appreciate it greatly. If you have any other questions, or questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question, like this,

"For Andrea only .......... "

Thank you once again for allowing me the opportunity to be of assistance,

ANDREA

PS David, Please take care of yourself and drive safely. There are a lot of crazy drivers on our roads here in the United States