Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

I am an Alabama home owner. I do not have a mortgage on my

Customer Question

I am an Alabama home owner. I do not have a mortgage on my home which is valued at approximately 100-110k. In 2002 I purchased a building in another county with an ex business partner and in 2003-2004 I was asked to sign a quitclaim deed on that property due to my financial situation. Well it is now 2013 as you know and I just learn this past Saturday via the post office that I was being sued by a bank for the property that I wasn't even aware that I still owned. My ex partner was to refinance the following year based on the loan type that we had together. In 2009 the building was still not refinanced and he stopped paying. I am wondering if living in Alabama if I could lose my home? I know this state offers a $5000 exemption, but if and when I'm sure a judgment is awarded can they force a sale or just lien my deed for 10-20 years? Is that $5000 protection enough for me to at least retain my home? I was in the process of trying to finance my home to remodel my kitchen as well as add a garage can I still refinance my home before we go to court in August 2013?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
I am afraid that I don't have good news for you so please don't shoot the messenger. If you were a co-signer on the debt for the other property and the lender forecloses and sells it, if it doesn't sell for enough to pay the debt, they can come after you personally for any deficiency.
.
As you are aware, there is only a $5,000 homestead exemption in AL for equity in a person's home. This means that if they get a judgment against you, only $5K of the equity in your home is protected from creditors. They can file a judgment lien on the house and then foreclose and force a sale of it to enforce their judgment.
.
With regard to taking a loan out on the property, that would be a good idea because it would increase the debt on the property and reduce the available amount of equity for a creditor to come after. The problem would be in getting a bank to loan you money if you are being sued. They will typically have required disclosures where you would have to notify them if you are subject to any pending legal action.
.
I am sorry the news wasn't better.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the response... I expected that answer, but have a slight variation of the question. I currently own a printing company and have decided to buy out a partner for $75k (paperwork was drawn a few weeks ago before I was aware of a pending suit and drawn up by partners attorney). I owned 51% and I bought out a 24% partner. To do this I borrowed the money from the remaining 25% partner, can he just put a lien on my home since I owe him so much? Actually he is the way that the home was originally purchased, I didn't go through a bank I had originally borrowed from him.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that would actually be a very good idea because if there are other liens on the property, then they would take priority over any potential judgment that could be issued against you. The more equity you can eat up, the less there would be for any judgment creditor to come after. Ideally, you would borrow up to $5K or $10K less than the house was worth so it wouldn't be appealing for any judgment creditor to come after since the first lienholder would get paid first out of any proceeds of a sale of the house.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well if my home is 75K tied and 5K exemption then they could in essence get a judgment for 10-30k is that enough to force a sale or should I be protected from a sale? I am not afraid of the judgment since ill never sale the home so I can wait them out ; ) I just want to make sure that I will not become homeless. You have been great I am sure this is the final question that I will be needing help with. Thank you!

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Well, if they forced a sale at auction, the house wouldn't bring what it is appraised at. Typically foreclosure sales bring around 65-75% of the appraised value of the house. So considering that they would have to spend $5-10K on an attorney to foreclose and sell it, if the house is appraised at around $100-110K, having $80K worth of debt and exemptions against it should effectively protect it since there likely wouldn't be anything left to pay the judgment creditor after any sale.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.

.