John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

I am not sure if this is the correct category under which to

I am not sure if this is the correct category under which to direct this question. However, I will start here. I am curious to know how Medicaid in the state of Indiana works. When filling out the application it indicates that it needs all social security numbers, incomes, etc of people in your household. If I live with 3 people (unrelated) who are room mates why would their income matter? How can you ask them for that kind of information on an application?
Expert:  John Legal replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

You do not have to produce the social security numbers of the people that are just living with you under the same roof. This all falls under the critical definition of "household." The federal regulations that govern Medicaid law in Indiana and all states clearly defines household much more narrow than just individuals living together. The Federal Regulations "POMS" states "A household is a personal place of residence in which the individuals share common living quarters and who function as a single economic unit."

You do not have to list the individuals in your residence unless you share income and resources within the household. If you do share income and resources then their income does count for your Medicaid eligibility and you must list their social security numbers and income. Frankly, if that is the case, Medicaid does not care how you get the information. Medicaid will not approve you until you provide the information they request.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your time.