Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Hi... ..I answered the first summon months ago. Telling

Hi...

..I answered the first summon months ago. Telling the clerk that I spent the past 6 mos. in
Florida taking care of my elderly mother of 90 years young and I end up staying with her
for 3 more mo. What I' saying the clerk said the court will get back to me. Let me tell you,
II'm from New York City, Jury Duty is to take place on June 3rd 2013 . What should I do?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Just so I have this correct, you are living in Florida for the past 6 months and you were summoned to jury duty in New York, where you normally live. Is that correct?

Customer:

ye

TexLawyer :

Exactly when did you move to Florida?

TexLawyer :

Also, do you plan on moving back to NY? If so, how long before you plan to move back?

Customer:

I have been inFlorida for the past two years off and on

Customer:

I am in florid

TexLawyer :

But the jury duty is in NY, correct?

Customer:

Taking care of my mother whoi is 90 yrs

Customer:

yes

TexLawyer :

When you say you live there "off and on," what exactly do you mean? Where do you spend more time, NY or FL?

TexLawyer :

Sorry for all the questions, but it is important for me to understand where you are a resident?

Customer:

I am n florida 3/4of the year.

Customer:

I...been in florida since 2010

TexLawyer :

OK. In that case, you are not required to go to jury duty. One of the requirements is that you are a resident of the county in which you are summoned. If you are spending the majority of your time in Florida and have been for two or so years, you have residency in Florida, not NY.

TexLawyer :

You need to call the clerk or court and tell them that your residence is now FL, not NY. As such, you are legally disqualified from jury service.

TexLawyer :

You should, however, get the blessing from the court before June 3rd.

Customer:

I will do that tomorrow.

TexLawyer :

Great.

TexLawyer :

Can I help you with anything else?

Customer:

To tell truth Iam OK and I wil keep you in mind for future buss.

TexLawyer :

Great. If there there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "Rate" my answer. Have a great evening!

TexLawyer :

Can I do something else for you?

Customer:

NO

TexLawyer :

OK. Have a great night.

TexLawyer :

If you have any questions in the future, you can direct them to me by including "this question is for TexLawyer" in the title. Also, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.

TexLawyer :

Also, a copy of this chat will always be accessible through your profile.

Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in both state and federal court.