Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

hello five star law, are you available for a new questio?

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :

Welcome back Greg

FiveStarLaw :

It has been awhile!

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX has

Customer:

i was wondering if all general releases are created equal and also another expert insinuated ot intimated that I would need a consideration or something of value to be released from an obligation.

Customer:

There was one general release form that included a spot for "all monies or 100 dollars.

Customer:

My general release form doesnt have that

FiveStarLaw :

A general release is a release of all obligations up until a point in time. It does require consideration. Are you referring to our prior discussion – if so let me know and I will look back at your prior questions to refresh my memory

Customer:

yes it is

FiveStarLaw :

ok - one moment while I review our prior discussions

FiveStarLaw :

Greg I have reviewed our prior discussions – at that time your sister was granting you a general release. You were going to state $100 as consideration

FiveStarLaw :

has something changed

Customer:

no, but i cant find the document or that particular release for. My current one doesnt allow a space for that

Customer:

form

FiveStarLaw :

I have never seen a general release form that does not refer to consideration. Consideration is necessary in order to have a binding contract/release.

FiveStarLaw :

are you still there

Customer:

for good consideration the undersigned jointly and severally hereby forever release, discharge, acquit, and forgive ( ) from any and all claims, actions, suits, demands, agreements and each of them, if more than one, liabilities, judgements, and proceedings both at law and in equity arising from the beginning of time to the date of theses presents and as more particularly related to or arising from: the release shall be binding upon and insure to the benefit of the parties, that the successors assigns and personal representatives

Customer:

bottom half is

FiveStarLaw :

Your agreement states "for good consideration" - Typically this would satisfy the consideration requirement

Customer:

yes mam, but where would i put a monetary value, or is one necessary here?

FiveStarLaw :

It is not necessary to put in a monetary value since the agreement states "for good consideration"

Customer:

could u also tell me what goes in the following boxes

Customer:

on before me, personally appeared

FiveStarLaw :

I would be happy to Greg. Would you please open a new question page as per site rules

Customer:

ok

FiveStarLaw :

Thank you.

Customer:

your welcome, I think I have it figured out and greatly appreciate your assistance

Customer:

figured it out

Customer:

thank you very much

Great – just let me know if you need any further assistance