Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

My daughters boyfriend, at the time, allowed her to direct

My daughter's boyfriend, at the time, allowed her to direct deposit her IRS refund check of $3000.00 into his account. They were living together and her payroll checks were also going into his account. He always made excuses to not get her name on the account. Things didn't work out and she moved out but he refuses to give her the IRS refund of $3000.00. Is this only a civil case or can he be charged with a crime and arrested?

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Customer:

Hello this is Jim Deegan

TexLawyer :

In order to make this into a criminal case, the state would have to prove that he intended to keep the money at the time he accepted it into his account, and they have to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt. So, the question regarding whether it can be charged as a crime is probably not as important as whether it will.

TexLawyer :

In my estimation, this is a very, very difficult criminal case to prove.

TexLawyer :

As such, it is likely that your only avenue to pursue is a civil case. I'm not saying that you cannot or should not present this to the police, but the odds of it becoming criminal are low, based on what you've told me.

Customer:

Ok, could this be done in small claims court without an attorney?

TexLawyer :

Yes, it can be filed in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be more "user friendly" than district court and it is generally intended to be done without a lawyer.

TexLawyer :

You can find information and many of the forms you may need here:

Customer:

Ok, we still may try the police contact first with the thought If they would just call him up and ask a few questions about the issue, he may decide to give her the money to keep the police from calling him anymore. Do you think the police would go to that extent?

TexLawyer :

The police may interview him, but they will not try to get the money back if they do not file charges.

TexLawyer :

The threat of lawsuit is often times enough to get a person to comply. I don't know if that is the situation here, but it often is.

Customer:

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX interview will do the trick. If not we will use the website you gave us for more info on civil lawsuit.

TexLawyer :

I think that would be wise.

Customer:

Thanks for your help, goodnight

TexLawyer :

Glad to help. You have a good night as well.

TexLawyer :

If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "Rate" my answer. Good luck!

Customer:

ok