How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4800
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been seeing the same dentist for about 8 years. I go

This answer was rated:

I have been seeing the same dentist for about 8 years. I go twice a year and am obsessive about dental care. I had been thinking that I had some problems but my dentist reassured me not to worry. Anyway, I just went to another dentist, who took abundant X-rays and photos. I need my bite fixed, I have some teeth that are rotting, I need 3 crowns, 3 overlays also, and temporary bonding on 4 teeth which will get veneers after Invisalign. The damage is $19,000 because my dentist was negligent. Is there anything I can do?

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Yes, you may have a good medical malpractice case. At the very least, it deserves further investigation.

TexLawyer :

The question in any medical malpractice case, or any negligence case, for that matter, is typically whether the doctor fell below the standard of a reasonable doctor (or, in your case, a reasonable dentist).

TexLawyer :

So, in your case, you would need to hire a lawyer who will engage an expert to look at your dental records and your current needs and see if whatever it was that your previous dentist missed is something that he should have detected - or, to put it another way, whether a reasonable dentist would have diagnosed the problem sooner.

TexLawyer :

Assuming the dentist was negligent, the second question your expert would have to answer is whether the problems you are facing now would have been avoided had the first dentist not been negligent.

TexLawyer :

Clearly, you need an dental expert to answer those questions with any sort of authority. However, based on what you've said, it one would logically think that these sorts of issues should have been caught. As such, you have the beginings of a good case.

TexLawyer :

Also, keep in mind that beyond the costs you will incurr to repair the damage, you can also sue for pain and suffering.

Customer: Thank you for your response. It was very informative.
TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

TexLawyer :

Do you have any questions?

Customer: How do I go about finding an attorney who specializes in dental malpractice ?
TexLawyer :

There may not be one that specializes in dental malpractice, but there are plenty that do medical malpractice.

TexLawyer :

If you need help finding a firm, you can use or Both are reputable lawyer referral websites and both rate lawyers, so you can be sure you are getting quality representaton.

Customer: Can the attorney get my records from my old dentist so that I don't have to have any more interaction with her?
TexLawyer :

Yes, you have a right to your records. So, with your authorization, your attorney should be able to get those records. If the dentist won't turn them over, you can report her to the dental board.

Customer: Thank you so much!
TexLawyer :

I'm glad I could help you.

TexLawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Chris T., JD and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks for the positive rating. If you have any questions in the future, you can direct them to me by including "this question is for TexLawyer" in the title. Good luck!

Related Legal Questions