TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I was recently sent a settlement statement by my attorney for

I was recently sent a settlement statement by my attorney for a construction lawsuit. The representation agreement indicated the attorney is entitled to 33 1/3% of all monies received. No problem there. However the Settlement if for 7,000 less attorney percent would be $4,690.00 for my award. $1,890 is now being tacked on as "fees" and I have requested a full accounting of those fees. I am confused, does not the 33 1/3 percent cover all cost incurred by the attorney? I appreciate your response.

Thank you for your question.

You are completely entitled to a full accounting of the breakdown on expenses. However, the expenses are always apart and separate from the fees. Generally the fees are taken off the top, then the expenses are deducted, then whatever is left is what the client takes home.

Your attorney-client agreement should clearly spell this out. If it does not say that the costs are taken out of the settlement/award, then you have an argument. However, a standard agreement will always have the costs separately coming out of your end (not the lawyer's fees).

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. I wanted to make sure this action was correct. I do see a statement in the agreement that says "MAK may advance cost on my behalf and I agree to reimburse these cost from any net recovery." Thanks for your excellent service. Have a great day.

You're welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.