How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 17210
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A Friend gave me Just under $10k plants/planters 5yrs ago if

This answer was rated:

A Friend gave me Just under $10k plants/planters 5yrs ago if I paid to move them from rented apt she was leaving (her plan b was to leave them for our building to dispose of!)... I did pay to move them & she has been to my home many times in last 5yrs loving we are enjoying the plants/planters... she is now asking for them back claiming they were a "loan" verbal or written loan agreement & never discussed.
Latest call was threatening lawsuit... do I need to retain a lawyer or is this all sad rantings of regret on her part??


Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification


This is an unfortunate situation,


if there was no written agreement and no evidence of this being a loan, she would have a hard case to litigate against you,


also, if you have never made any payments to her, and she would have had to dispose of them you can argue that she would not have had them if you were not given these items,


If she does sue you, your defense would be that this was a gift, and that you want storage fees for the 5 years you kept the items in your possession,

Also, be aware the legal costs for suing you in NY are very high, and she may be just threatening you so you, may want to work out some settlement with her.

WALLSTREETFIGHTER and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions