Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

I was told by Chase Home Mortgage my escrow account was in

I was told by Chase Home Mortgage my escrow account was in the negative,e turns out that MetLife Insurance was charging $6414.00 a year for home insurance, according to the average is $905.00 a year. I own a 3 bdrm ranch no basement on well and septic system. my house was reassessed to be worth $124,000 down from $144,000 back in 1998. Total valve is around $181,000 that includes the land. I have contacted Metlife Insurance they are going to reassess my house and escrow. I want to know if I have a case against Metlife for over charging me as far back as 2007, when I got insurance through my employer for a discount by changing home insurance companies. 2008 $2,916.00 , 2009 $3,506.00, 2010/11 $3990.00, 2012 $5230.00, 2013 $6414.00. Never had a claim with MetLife.

Can you briefly explain why you were using your loan servicer/lender to provide you with homeowners insurance -- rather than to have obtained insurance yourself and made the lender/servicer the "loss payee" (which is the standard lending industry practice)?

Thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I chose metlife through my employer Midcoast aviation (jet aviation) at the time. it was for a discount rate on home insurance, so I switched insurance companys. Chase Home Mortgage pays out escrow which includes home insurance.

I apologize but I have a dentist appointment to attend to now. I will reopen this question for others to answer.

Best wishes.

Hello. Another expert here, and I'll try to assist. There is no way that HO insurance could have cost that much in Indiana. Even force placed insurance that is obtained by the lender when the owner can't or doesn't make the mortgage payments and which is the most expensive coverage you can buy, wouldn't be that much for a home like yours.

It appears that you have been overcharged since 2007. Your complaint should be directed to the Indiana Department of Insurance, not the Federal Trade Commission, which has nothing to do with consumer complaints. I also think that whoever the agent was who sold the policy through your employer did you a disservice. Suggestion: Call one or two local insurance agents to give you a quote on insuring your home. I think you will be pleasantly surprised and will want to switch companies. Suing for a refund might be difficult, so an attorney should be employed for that.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience: Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.