Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.
10805288

I was awarded SSDI six years ago and went back to work. Now

I was awarded SSDI six years ago and went back to work. Now I find myself disabled again and reapplied for SSDI. I phoned my SSDI case worker at the state level to explain that I've been diagnosed with another disease and she said that my decision went to the local SSI office; three or four weeks ago, and haven't heard anything. What should I expect, do you have an ideal? Thank you.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you.

I was awarded SSDI six years ago and went back to work. OK, so 6 years ago you were disabled and not working and at some point after that, you were able to work substantiall, and stopped claiming benefits, is that right. Thereafter, you were again disabled, either by the same impairment or a new one (or combination) and eithe re-applied (or requested expedited re-instatement).

Now I find myself disabled again and reapplied for SSDI. I phoned my SSDI case worker at the state level to explain that I've been diagnosed with another disease and she said that my decision went to the local SSI office; three or four weeks ago, and haven't heard anything. I take it she didn't tell you what that decision then was. Typically, if they won't tell you, it is a denial, but not 100% always. Try calling your local office, though to find out. A denial is usually sent out right away. The fact that they didn't send it right away is interesting, because it COULD then mean they are figuring out the figures (which would mean you won). Best deal is to call your local and find out - if they even know.

What should I expect, do you have an ideal? Thank you. Because it is only 3-4 weeks, it is not SO long that the matter clearly fell into the cracks. As such, while I'd call my local office or visit it, I'd not get to concerned yet. If you get denied, you will want to appeal, as you probably recall - and need to do it in a timely basis using an SSA-561 form OR doing so online. Let me know if you need that form or link to online appeal form and I will get you that.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I applied for SSDI for the same thing as I won last time. And applied at the end of March of 2013. Is it too soon to contact them? I don't want to sound "needy" but financially I am, since being diagnosed with kidney disease within the last two weeks and waiting for more test, etc. I too figured that when the "lady" at the state level said a decision was made and sent to the local office of SSI that a denial letter would be received that following week, but nothing. Very confused, scared and sick. Thanks for your help.

Hi again, thanks for following up. With regard to your added post:

I applied for SSDI for the same thing as I won last time. You may want to inquire as to whether it went in as an expedited reinstatement.

And applied at the end of March of 2013. Is it too soon to contact them? Never too soon, since you have been told there is a decision. They just may not tell you the decision until it is sent in writing. But you can certainly ask.

I don't want to sound "needy" but financially I am, since being diagnosed with kidney disease within the last two weeks and waiting for more test, etc. So sorry! I understand.

I too figured that when the "lady" at the state level said a decision was made and sent to the local office of SSI that a denial letter would be received that following week, but nothing. Very confused, scared and sick. Thanks for your help.
Please DO then call or go into your local office. My concern is that they DID possibly send you a denial that got lost in the mail, and now your time to appeal is slipping away. I also suggest you retain a contingent fee SSD attorney - just to cover all bases. Generally, there is no retainer up front.

Hang in there - I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.