Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

A guy I thought to have been dating stole a rental car in my

A guy I thought to have been dating stole a rental car in my name. He took the car out of state for two months before he was arrested. The car was returned and the state where it was stolen from didn't want to pay to bring him back to face the charges. There was damages to the car and I had to pay my deductible to have it fixed. My auto insurance is trying to get a back what we both had to pay on the damages. I have recently found out by the mother of his children that the whole thing was set up and planned by the two of them. Is there any legal way of having him face charges for civil conspiracy? How strong would my case be?
Hello. Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. You and/or your insurance company can sue him where he lives for the damages that they had to pay. That will include your deductible. It is a completely civil matter, and your claim is under civil not criminal law. If the state he stole the car from doesn't want him returned for criminal action, there's nothing you can do about it.
I hope this information is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating.