Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Legal Expert
19305272

Several years ago, I purchased a home with another person.

Several years ago, I purchased a home with another person. That person only resided there for 1 year. After his departure, I continued to pay all expenses. The property has been paid for for a few years now. When we last spoke, he would not sign off on the property until he received money he felt I owed him. That amount seems to keep increasing. What I would like to know is, since his name is XXXXX XXXXX property, wouldn't he have been responsible for half of the taxes and insurance all of this time? I don't want the money. Just want to convince him to sign off so that I can will the property to my children.

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

Customer:

okay

TMcJD :

Co-owners are equally responsible for their share of the expenses and upkeep of the property. However, if one owner uses the whole property, that owner is also responsible to pay the non-occupying owners a fair amount for use of the share of the property the non-occupying owner cannot use. For example, if fair rent is $500, then a 1/2 owner would be entitled to $250 for each rental period. But that non-occupying owner must also pay his 1/2 of the expenses. Thus, if yearly mortgage and other payments were $15,000, then the non-occupying owner should have paid $7,500. So, there may be some cancellation of what you owed him and/or what he owed you depending on what a fair market rent was/is and what the expenses were. Thus, with the example of $500 rent, the $250 over the year is $2,500. But he owed you his share of expenses of $7,500, so that after accounting for rent he still would owe you $5,000

Customer:

thank you. that answers my question, and more.

TMcJD :

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating. I cannot receive credit for my work without your positive rating and that is the sole means of compensation for JustAnswer experts. Thanks.

Customer:

A problem, though. While I was waiting for connection, a window appeared that showed I will be charged over $50 a month for this service. My intention was only for a one time chat.

TMcJD :

You can rate my answer and it will charge you the $44 that you agreed to pay. I'll let customer service know that you don't want to be a member with a monthly subscription fee.

Customer:

Thank you very much. I'd be very happy to give you an excellent rating!

TMcJD :

Due to the way the system works, could you make the rating first. When that's done, I'll send it on to customer service. Thanks.