Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

My public defender is horrible. Hasnt tried to make any deals

Customer Question

My public defender is horrible. Hasnt tried to make any deals for pleas that i asked. But aside from that today is the day if i dont accept a plea they set for trial. Ive yet to see or receive a copy of my discovery. What can i do. In stste of missouri
Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Welcome,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Is this a public defender that works in the public defender's office or an outside lawyer hired by the courts?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Public defender's office

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

S

Public defender's office

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you not going to tell me anything else?

Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.

Hi Angela,

Thank you for your response.

Every public defender in the public defender's office has a supervisor. Consider calling the public defender's office and speaking with the supervisor.

You may tell the supervisor that your public defender is not providing you with adequate representation. Explain that the PD is not presenting the pleas as you instructed nor providing you with a copy of the discovery so that you can make an informed decision

If the supervisor Is not helpful, you can consider writing a letter to the judge stating that your PD is violating your right to adequate representation by not informing you about the discovery nor presenting pleas.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.

Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.

Angela - Did you receive my answer?

Let me know