N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

Can company or partnership sign on it own behalf? I noticed

Can company or partnership sign on it own behalf?

I noticed several engagement letters were law firms and service providers (incl. accounting firm) sign their papers by smth like "handwriting" but in fact this document signed by replication of full company name. Is this signature valid?

The question related to companies from British Virgin Island.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 3 years ago.
Just signing the name of the company is not normal. A normal signature would be something like "XYZ Partnership, by A.B, General Partner" or "XYZ Corporation, by A.B. President/Secretary/Other Corporate Officer".

A corporation can only act through its agents, officers or Board of Directors, and a partnership can only act through a general partner or agent.

If you clarify what type of document was signed, I can offer an opinion as to whether it was signed legally.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the signed document is an engagement letter

is that correct that company can never be restated in Cyprus registrar once Certificate with a following wording was obtained:
"It is hereby certified, that in accordance with records kept on the Register of Companies, the above Company under "Voluntary Winding Up", has been deemed dissolved as of ____________ .

This question is related to Cyprus law.

It appears that a dissolved company can be reinstated within two years, under Section 326 of The Companies Law, see
http://www.fbscyprus.com/assets/mainmenu/417/docs/COMPANIES%20LAW.pdf
Thank you for accepting my answer.