Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

Hi... I have a question regarding Invasion of Privacy.I

Customer Question

Hi... I have a question regarding Invasion of Privacy. I am in the fourth year of a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy which I had to get into to "Play Defense" against some illiegal bank tactics forcing them to "Play Nice". When they involve their attorney in informing me and other people about additonal charges they will be trying to attach at some point in the future, I receive a big white envelope in the mail with a large mailing sticker saying ... DEBTOR DANIEL XXXXXXXX How is this not Invasion of Privacy since, even if one person I don't want to know about this damaging thing knows about it (My mailman), and makes jokes about it. And if you say its not illegal, why the urgency to, as Jesus said, "Strain the Gnat"...why isn't Dr. Daniel Xxxxxxxx sufficient to accomplish the task of notifying me of something. Since I am a wannabe whostudied law for a few years and know the definition of this tort, I am always interested in having a lawyer tell me what it "really means"... Thanks in advance for your help. Dr. Dan Xxxxxxxx

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
How is this not Invasion of Privacy since, even if one person I don't want to know about this damaging thing knows about it (My mailman), and makes jokes about it.
.
In order for there to be an invasion of your privacy, there must be some type of confidential or private information that is being disclosed to the public. If you are currently in a bankruptcy, then that is entirely public information and there is no duty of confidentiality that the creditor owes you.
.
Now obviously they are just doing this to try and humiliate or shame you and serves no practical purpose. It is petty, but it is their way to try to get back at you for whatever disagreement you have had with them. But it wouldn't necessarily be a violation of the law for them to do so. If you think about it, the only person who is going to see it for sure would be your postman, and I am sure he already knew about it well in advance of the unnecessary "debtor" title they added.
.

You might be able to maintain a cause of action for publication of private information. Elements of the tort include (1) publication, (2) absent any waiver or privilege, (3) of private matters in which the public has no legitimate concern, (4) so as to bring shame or humiliation to a person of ordinary sensibilities.

.

The Restatement (Second) of Torts, § 652D, at 383 (1977), articulates the tort of public disclosure of private facts by stating that "(o)ne who gives publicity to a matter concerning the private life of another is subject to liability to the other for invasion of his privacy, if the matter publicized is of a kind that (a) would be highly offensive to a reasonable person, and (b) is not of legitimate concern to the public."

You could try and file suit against them and allege that there is no legitimate purpose in listing the "debtor" tag on any mail and it is just done to shame you, but I think that it would cost more in attorney fees than you would ever recover if a judge decided that there was no legitimate reason for them to do this.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.

.