Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I need a special education lawyer. A friend of mine has a

I need a special education lawyer.
A friend of mine has a son who is diagnosed with adhd and is prescribed cetera, 50 mg a day. he went to headstart at age 5. He had speech therapy at about age 5. He continued to take speech therapy until about the sixth grade. He started having behavior problems in school at approximately 6 years. He could not focus and sit still normally. They started sitting him up front by himself. the teachers had one on one with him and would spend extra time with him. this year. We realized that he might have a medical problem at about age of six, the teachers didn't know what to do with him. From 1st through fourth grade he barely passed. Including about half the classes. HE WAS NEVER GIVEN A PAMPLET ABOUT YOUR FAMILY'S special education RIGHTS. He does not have an IEP in place. He was never informed that his child should have an IEP.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

What is the specific question you have for us (since ADHD would generally come under the Americans with Disabilities Act, but the Autism is more important and would entitle him to protection under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act which entitles him to even more accommodation than the ADA)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im interested in the adhd, part for the moment.

Thank you for your response.

ADHD, depending on severity of course, is most typically treated by a request for reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the development of a 504 plan for the child with the types of accommodations that will be provided. Unlike the IEP, which is developed not by an individual but by a team concept consisting of doctors, therapists, teachers, the IEP coordinator, the parents and principal, the 504 plan which is typically designed to address the behavioral issues and ADHD issues between the doctor and the IEP/Disabilities coordinator at the school. The recommendations of the therapist as to the type of accommodations that are required for the child would generally be weighed most heavily in a 504 plan together with any behavioral plans developed between the teacher and parents with the advice from the therapist. See: General Discussion ADHD and 504 Plans.

Typically the IDEA IEP provides the child with more rights than the reasonable accommodation under the ADA with 504 plan. This is why I said that using the autism in addition with the ADHD would benefit the child more because of the qualification for the IEP.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: Other. WOULD NOT CONTINUE INFORMING ME IN REASONABLE TIME AND DID NOT ANSWER MY QUESTIONS THOUROUGHLY ENOUGH iS THIS EXPERT PAULMJD STILL ANSWERING QUESTIONS I WHY DID SOMEONE BLOCK MY ACCESS?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
NEED TO KNOW IF MY EXPERT IS STILL WILLING TO WORK WITH ME.
I SINCERELY XXXXX XXXXX WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR I DID NOT STOP WORKING WITH YOU AND SOME UNSCRUPULOUS INDIVIDUAL LOCKED YOUR QUESTIONS ON ME AND I COULD NOT GET TO THEM.

I am indeed working with you and I do not know who the unscrupulous and underhanded individual was who locked your questions. Please, please accept my apology. Right after your last question I had to go off line yesterday, but I did post to you that since you said the information you were receiving was not good from me I was offering to opt out and let you deal with some other expert. Right after that I had to go off line and when I tried to get back into your question they were locked.

If you would like to continue working with me I am glad to do so, but please if you are not happy with the information being provided let me know as I said and I will let some other expert answer your questions.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney