LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
58185682

4 years ago, someone gave me a monetary gift or more to the

4 years ago, someone gave me a monetary gift or more to the fact, paid something on my behalf without my knowledge. There was no contract, terms, repayment date, etc. Lately, I have found out that they were threatening my wife both with physical violence and psychologically. They also had a thug send threatening and sexually explicit emails to my wife. Now they are trying to sue us. The incredulity of this is mind-numbing. I recently found out that they threatened my wife into giving them a couple of checks - not repayment - extortion. They have called my home incessantly, stalked my wife and harass my wife at work. To make matters worse, these malignant criminals are pastors. What can I do... I want to press criminal charges...I can't stand the fact that they are threatening my wife. They came to my house on Thanksgiving 2012 and threatened my family. I already called the police twice and filed 2 reports. The stalking has stopped, but not the harassment. What should I do First?
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

Does the "gift" have anything to do with the current harassment? Or, did you just provide that information as background information?

Also is the harassing behavior directed toward you also, or just your wife?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To answer your first question - Yes

The harassment is directed to both of us, but the sexual threats are directed towards my wife.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you require any more information at this point?

Can you explain how the "gift" is involved in the current harassment?

Also I am I correct in assuming that neither you or your wife are related to the harasser, nor have had an intimate relationship with the harasser?

When you report this to police, what do they do?
Also, what type of behavior is the harasser continuing to engage in most recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They retained an attorney to sue my wife and I .....for what?

Have they filed a suit yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they filed a complaint - I don't know what the specifics are.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since his stalking my wife. She has insidious anxiety attacks, looks out windows at all hours of the night. She is afraid to be alone - anywhere. She used to be the strongest person I knew...but these people have been systematically destroying her life...It is of utmost importance that they cease and desist.

Craig,

I don't think you answered my question "Also I am I correct in assuming that neither you or your wife are related to the harasser, nor have had an intimate relationship with the harasser?" I am going to assume the answer is "No." If this is wrong, let me know, because if it is, you will have another option to pursue.

Since they filed a civil complaint against you, you will need to file an answer and defend against the lawsuit.

Your first step should be is to obtain a copy of the complaint that has been filed. Once you know the type of claim that has been filed you should consult with and hire an attorney in your area that is experienced in defending against those types of claims. Also when you file your answer, you may want to consider filing a counterclaim based upon the harassment that you hand your wife have had to endure.

Also if the harasser reinitiates his pattern of harassing contact you may also ask for the court as part of the civil case to issue a restraining order against him ordering him to cease such contact.

You also should continue following up with the police regarding the threatening and sexual harassing behavior. If they do not seem interested in pursuing criminal charges, you should discuss this with your civil lawyer, but sometimes contacting the prosecutor's office directly can result in having the criminal charges initiated.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. (especially after you obtain a copy of the civil complaint.)

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience: Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My wife and I have not had an intimate relationship with these people. The only way I knew him was that he was once pastor of a church that I attended. He was on the wrong side of a political battle in the church and was demoted/de-frocked. I am a charismatic speaker and one day, quite unexpectedly, he asked me to speak in front of his congregation ( I guess in his mind to restore some of his credibility?) I'm not trying to tell you irrelevant facts to make myself feel some modicum of relief. The law is black and white. All I want for my wife and myself is justice for what this monster has done. I have not even told you what he has done to other innocent people - as it is irrelevant at this point.

Thanks for that additional information.

You should get the complaint, and counterclaim for the harassing behavior and ask the court to order that he not continue to engage in any of the harassing behavior.

Again when you have a copy of the civil complaint please let me know if you have additional questions.