Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have just found out the hard way that my vehicle registration

I have just found out the hard way that my vehicle registration was suspended for no insurance. We have insurance in force now but we did have a lapse due to economic conditions. I am disabled and my family is on hard times. My wife just found work and without a car she cannot get to work. Is there a hardship application in pa of any kind. Is there anything that I can do.

Due to three heart attacks and many months of hospitalization I am disabled at home and I am on some heavy duty narcotics. My mind is not as sharp as it use to me. My wife is old school and is not use to handling situations like this. I do not recall getting notified that this was happening. I am unable to drive any longer so matters involving that cars are not on my mind.

This will really hurt us if my wife cannot get to work.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I understand that your insurance had lapsed, but the only way to get the registration reinstated is to prove that the insurance has been reinstated and go to court to argue that the non-payment was an oversight and not intentional. I am afraid that there is no legal exception for anyone who intentionally does not have insurance because not having insurance impacts everyone else on the road and if you or your wife were in an accident without insurance then who would bear the burden of paying for the damages if you were liable for causing them? The only thing you can do I am afraid is prove insurance has been paid and appeal for an early termination of the vehicle suspension and most judges are understanding enough to do so, but they will not release the registration without proof of current insurance I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have proof that my insurance is in effect and to be honest, it was not an over-sight but it was due to a loss of income. I cannot afford to hire an attorney and I have no clue as to how to go about going to court. We were almost homeless and my wife got a job and if she loses it because of this, we will be on the street. This is causing so much stress on me that I am afraid I will have another heart attach. I am taking morophine and delaudid. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Thank you for your response.

I did catch that you let your insurance go because you could not afford it, but I was trying to tell you that it would have to require you proving it was not economic, but either an oversight or because you were in the hospital at the time it was due and you were just physically unable to pay it. You have to argue one of those good cause reasons and not just you could not pay it as that would cause your appeal to be denied.

You do not have to go to court with this, you file an appeal with the Motor Vehicles Division and they will give you the appeal form to file.