RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Both my fiance and I have student loans from when we were in

Both my fiance and I have student loans from when we were in college and grad school respectively. We both are on income based repayment plans for our federal loans. The reapplication for income based repayment asks about your spouse's income and your income. My question is whether when my fiance and I get married, whether our loan repayments will become more expensive.

Thanks
Thank for your question.

I can tell you from personal experience - yes they will, because the IBR plan takes into consideration the income of both spouses. I know when I got married, and my wife's income was included, my payments subsequently went up. IBR is based off a percentage of your income, thus, as income rises, the payment does as well.

You and your future spouse could file taxes separately to qualify for IBR, but that is something you would want to discuss with a tax advisor, as doing so may make you ineligible for other tax benefits.