P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

I signed a lease for an apartment in Tennessee two days ago.

Customer Question

I signed a lease for an apartment in Tennessee two days ago. I got a job offer today in another city. Do I have three days to change my mind about the lease?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry to have to bear bad news.

Where there is federal and state law (including Tennessee law) that allows a consumer to cancel certain types of contracts, for example a door to door sales contract, a home mortgage, or a time share purchase, there is no law that allows a right to cancel a lease.

Now...what the manager said is can negotiate with the apartment complex and attempt to find agreement on how best to void the contract. For example, they are offering 2 may want to negotiate this. Or, you may want to consider taking the lease and subleasing to another (to mitigate you losses).

But to answer the question, is there an automatic right to cancel? I am sorry to say that the answer is no.

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can