Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Good Afternoon,As a Federal employee, I am currently completing

Good Afternoon,

As a Federal employee, I am currently completing an SF 86 application to obtain a Secret Security Clearance. one question asks if "In the last 7 years if I have known a Foreign National and was bound by affection and common interests."

The answer is yes. I dated a woman from Equador for 1 year. This same person rented my apartement for 2 years while I worked in South Korea. The problem is that she has an expired Visa and is now undocumented.

If I put her name down, can they deport her ? Although we don' date, I would hate for her to be deported. She is a very good person who took excellent care of my home.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you put her name down, they might deport her as they will investigate her to determine whether or not she poses a security threat. The bigger problem is if you do not list her and are not truthful and they discover the relationship between you and her and this could be grounds to terminate you because of being untruthful on the security clearance.

Thus, you are in an unfortunate position that depending on how deep they look into her background they could decide to report her to USCIS for deportation or they could simply decide she is no threat to security and decide not to report her to USCIS.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Very Much ! Your answer makes perfect sense.

I guess what was confusing me is that I thought the purpose of checking if I have any foreign contacts is to determinurale if these individuals pose a security threat and not so much whether they are legal or illegal immigrants. If this is the case, thousands of my neighbors in the multicultural area of New York City where I live would get deported.

Thank you for your follow up.

You are correct, the purpose is to check their danger to security and not their legal status, but if their legal status comes up in the investigation they are supposed to report it.