TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law
9373668

Can I be denied in a doctors office while my husband is being

Can I be denied in a doctors office while my husband is being examined? He has stated I have valuable information which the doctor needs to know. Is there a law which will allow me to be present? What is the law?
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

No, I'm sorry to say that in general there is no specific law that would require a doctor to let you into his exam room with your husband. The doctor may make his own rules about that. Accordingly, this sounds like a customer service issue rather than a legal issue. Your husband may want to find a new doctor.

I'll qualify the above answer, however, by pointing out that if there were an emergency and you had valuable information for dealing with the emergency, and if you were not permitted to give that information to the doctor, and if that resulted in harm to your husband that could have been prevented, then it's possible that your husband would have a malpractice case against the doctor.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was informed it was a HIPAA regulation where I would be allowed to enter the office with my husband!? I know when I accompany him to the VA I am never denied access to any examining room. Is there something I'm missing here?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

I'm sorry to say that you were misinformed. HIPAA does not regulate that issue.

Although the VA allows you in the examination room, it is not required by law. Most doctors and hospitals would not have a problem with it, but it is not regulated by law. It is a customer service issue.

I wish that I had better news.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law