Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

Question everything that I have read says when my father passs

Question everything that I have read says when my father pass's away I will not have to pay his debts as my name in not on them. He is living with my family as he has not had a job in about 4 years or so and other then his 1999 pick up has nothing to his name. He also has a checking account with very little in it but dose have one. He would like to put my name on the account so when he pass's I can go in and close out the account ( which again will not have very much in it ) my question is if my name is XXXXX XXXXX checking account will the debtors be able to come after me to pay off his bills. My name in no where on his cards or student loans. I just don't know if I want to tie my name to his banking account
Please advise thanks Christy
Dear JACUSTOMER - His debts will have to be paid from his estate and if he has no assets then the bills will not get paid. Having your name on his checking account will not make you liable for all of his other debts but the checking account will have to be used to pay whatever bills can be paid. I see no purpose in putting your name on the account since you would have to use the money to pay the bills. If you simply do nothing then the creditors can figure out how to collect their money from his assets. In any event you would not owe his debts.