Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

My wife and her brother co-own a condo in Florida. She has

My wife and her brother co-own a condo in Florida. She has to pay for all the repairs, about $30,000, in order to sell it.(BROTHER HAS NO MONEY AT THIS TIME) Can she place a lien on the property prior to sale to recover the cost?
I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Welcome,

I am a Florida licensed attorney. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Your wife can place of voluntary lien on the condo. This means that your wife can place a lien on the condo with the consent of her brother.

Without the brother's consent, your wife would require a written contract in which her brother consented to pay a portion of the repairs. She would then need to file suit on that contract and obtain a judgment against her brother In order to place the lien.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.