N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

Can police video you or your possessions without your know

Can police video you or your possessions without your knowledge?
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear this.

I need a little more information.

Was the video shot from a private or public location?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cat got out of my yard and went to a neighbor's yard. The neighbor called the police and called me. When I got there the police woman had already put my cat in a carrier. So, it was on private property...but not mine. I did not like how the police treated me, so I wrote a letter to the editor about it. In editing and working on the letter with the editor, he told me that he was going to view a video that the police had of the incident.

Made me very upset. I told the editor if he didn't believe my account of what went on to not print the letter and that I am through with his newspaper.

But, I decided I would like to know if in this country of ours one can be videoed by the police anytime the police feel like it without letting us know.

They can only shoot video from a place that is open to the public, or from private property if they have legal authority to be there, such as a warrant or permission from the occupant of the property.

Did the police arrest or cite you for anything? Did they provide a receipt to you for the cat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They had permission from the neighbor to be on his property where my cat had wandered to. No, they did not cite me, because I volunteered who my veterinarian was and that they could check with him, which they did by phone, and my veterinarian backed me up that the cat was old and suffereing from thyroid disease and was on medication. They did not provide a receipt to me for the cat which they had captured in their carrier.

Did they return your cat to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they returned the cat to me because they called my veterinarian and he backed me up...that the cat was not being abused; it is ill with thyroid disease which I am doctoring. They wanted to cite me; I could see it in their bullying manner, but they didn't thanks to my vet.

They returned the cat to me, but I never knew about the videotape.

I'm glad the cat was returned to you.

My opinion is that you do not have a claim against the police for filming the cat under the circumstances you described.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't want to put a claim against the police. I wanted to know what the rules are for videotaping people without telling them. I guess from what you say they can do it because their car would be parked in the street and the wheels would be touching a public street, Are the video cameras on the police cars or are they secretly attached to each police officer?

The rules on recording and filming in Oregon are summarized at
http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/state-state-guide/oregon
Oregon is a "one party consent" State as to electronic communications, but requires the consent of all parties to tape an in person conversation.

Police vehicles commonly have dashboard mounted cameras, but it is not usual for individual officers to wear hidden cameras or sound recording devices.

You wrote: "I would like to know if in this country of ours one can be videoed by the police anytime the police feel like it without letting us know." The answer varies among the States but in general a police officer (or anyone else) is free to shoot videos on public streets. Many private businesses have outdoor security cameras, so we are all being videotaped every time we go to a city. I don't like it, but it is a fact of modern life.

This cuts both ways. The officers who assaulted Rodney King would never had been tried if not for the videotape shot by George Holliday. So while the police can point a video camera at people on public streets, those same people can also point video cameras at the police on public streets or other public locations, such as train stations, as in the Oscar Grant case.

Some people wear large sunglasses and floppy hats when they go to a city if they really do not like being videotaped.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience: since 1983
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is very helpful. I like the sunglasses and floppy hat idea. Thank you.

Thank you for the Excellent rating, and thank you very much for the bonus!