Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

A contractor did an addition on my home over 3 years ago.

A contractor did an addition on my home over 3 years ago. We paid his bill every time he sent us one. We received another bill from him last month for 4800.00. Am I obligated to pay after all this time. We thought he was finished and we were paid in full.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 1 year ago.
Did you have a written contract for a specified amount?
If so, did you pay that amount?
Do you have receipts for all of your past payments?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We did have an estimate, and paid all detailed bills in full. We do have receipts for all the payments made. He lives next door to us, and has never said that he was not finished or that we owed him any more money. I know we did sign a contract. I will have to take out all of the paperwork to review everything. But 3 years later? This is really unprofessional.

Dear JACUSTOMER - I would agree that there should have been a bill sent after the work was completed and if there has been no work for three years then my suggestion is to ask him to give you a detailed explanation of the recent bill and itemize exactly what it represents. NJ has a 6 year statute of limitations on contract debts so legally the contractor is within the statute of limitations. That doesn't mean you owe the money just that he is within his time to file a suit for an unpaid bill. Obviously you have a right to know what you are paying for so I would ask for the itemized bill and compare this to the bills you have already paid to see if you are being double charged for any of the work. You should also add up what you have already paid to see if it is approximately equal to the original estimate. If you have already paid the amount of the estimate then you would have the argument that the entire job has been paid and that you ow nothing else.
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: 25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations