Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I took my husband to the ER for treatment for his crohns.

I took my husband to the ER for treatment for his crohns. When they admitted him I told them that I had no insurance and neither did he. They said not to worry about it and that we would not be billed. He is not an American citizen and I am. We are just recently married and going through the visa process. He does not currently have a visa number or a social security number. When they had him in holding he was in shock and was nodding yes to all the questions that they were asking him. I was not with him with this was happening. They asked him if he was thinking of hurting himself as one of the questions. He was nodding yes to this and every question because of his pain he was not understanding the questions. Then they sanctioned him and took away his rights, medicating him without my permission for depression. I protested saying that we went there for his crohns and why had a doctor not treated him for that. They told me if I tried to take him out of the hospital they would arrest me and restrain him. I had to go to the head of the admin office and get them involved. I threatened to get the US Embassy involved if they did not release him. They had the head of the psychiatric department come down and talk to him. The doctor said he was not suicidal and that there had been a mistake. He promptly released us. However my husband was never treated for his crohns. Today we got a bill for $522. I believe that we should not have to pay this bill because A. They told us we would not be billed B. We were held illegally against our wills and C. He was never treated for what we went there for to begin with. What can I do in this case?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

Where did this occur? You mention the American embassy, did this happen in another country?

Customer:

This happened at The University of Chicago

Customer:

My husband is from the UK

Customer:

It was the UK Embassy that I was going to have to get involved.

Customer:

Not the US. It was a typo

JD 1992 :

So it happened here in the US?

Customer:

Yes in Chicago

JD 1992 :

OK, that makes more sense. Who told you they were going to waive the charges?

Customer:

We were told by multiple people. When we first arrived and a nurse was speaking with him another nurse came over and asked me to fill out some paper work. I said at that time that we had no insurance and she said not to worry about it.

Customer:

Then later we were assigned another woman who was a social worker and she said

Customer:

that we did not have to worry about paying because he was a special case and that the hospital would take care of it for us because we were students with no insurance.

Customer:

And a third time

Customer:

when we were released the male nurse that made us sign the release papers

Customer:

I asked him again about the bill and he said that there was none.

JD 1992 :

Is your question how to not have to pay the bill?

Customer:

Yes it is. I do not believe that we should have to. We were told we would not be responsible for it. He was never even treated and is still ill as a result.

Customer:

And we were in my opinion abused.

Customer:

and mistreated.

Customer:

It was very traumatic.

JD 1992 :

The best way to get it waived is to have a local lawyer write them a letter explaining why you shouldn't have to pay the bill. They can set out what was done wrong and also that three people told you there would be no charge. They can also mention that your husband was never treated for the condition that brought you there.

JD 1992 :

You can write the letter yourself but it isn't as likely to get results.

Customer:

Oh ok I see. I was thinking this may be a good idea. However I feel like this may be very expensive. Im not sure how to find a local lawyer to do this for cheap. We are only students.

Customer:

And he can not work because he is not American.

JD 1992 :

You can also file a complaint with the state licensing board. Sometimes when you file these the medical provider will ask if you'll drop the complaint if they waive payment.

JD 1992 :

It should be extremely cheap, or even free, to get a lawyer to write the letter for you.

JD 1992 :

If there is a legal aid office in your town check with them but most lawyers won't charge much, if anything, for this.

Customer:

Oh really? Do you think I should just look online for a lawyer and call them then?

JD 1992 :

You could also sue in small claims court, but that takes more time and effort than having the lawyer write them for you.

Customer:

And tell them my situation?

JD 1992 :

Yes, that would be the best course of conduct.

JD 1992 :

And try legal aid first.

Customer:

I will try the legal aid first.

Customer:

It seems better.

Customer:

Ok thanks for your advice.

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome and I certainly wish you the best. This should work out okay for you.

Customer:

Really? I do hope so. If you think the letter from the lawyer will do the trick I will try that.

JD 1992 :

It should take care of the problem.

Customer:

Great ok thanks again I appreciate it! :) Have a good evening.

JD 1992 :

To you as well.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992