Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

Need advice for type of lawyer to hire & fight for the return

Need advice for type of lawyer to hire & fight for the return of a revoked USA Passport.
- Visited Seattle Passport office, submitted passport renewal (travel within 4 days for business, didn't want to risk travel with 2 months till expiration)
- Passport revoked, lost job/wages for missed plane; renewal denied for outstanding child support (incorrect status), no letter received for support unpaid, travelled 10yrs never told at reentry. June flights booked - need passport! Can you help?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Have you been ordered by the court to pay child support?

Were you informed by the Passport Agency specific information based on which your passport is suspended?

Please provide me with more details, so I can better understand your situation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the quick reply Alex..

Agent verbally advised a report on record about unpaid child support was reason for revoking passport.

- No court order ever received, was not aware of any outstanding/unpaid support balance/demands.

- Seattle Passport agent advised unpaid child support record was so old, scheduled to be expunged and would remove from record to reissue passport (just required manager approval who denied reissuing the new passport would not return passport for temp travel). Instructed to return in two days when manager would be back in the office and my new passport would be ready for pickup.

- Provided flight ticket docs (was scheduled to fly in 48 hours), still refused to reissue passport or return current passport.

- Manager put my application on the bottom of pile of paperwork and told to leave office that he did not have time to deal with someone who had unpaid child support.

- Advised someone in DC would call to interview about situation.

- Based on managers rude and unprofessional attitude, no confidence any action will be taken to resolve inaccurate report to issue renewal passport by early June.

- Need to take acton after the weekend to ensure passport renewed/issues resolved asap.

Does that help?

Dear XXXXXa,

This doesn't really make sense, as unpaid child support obligations, generally never expire in most states or get expunged.

Do you have any clue as to what type of child support issue this could be related to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

- Appears a demand from ex-partner in Canada.

- Partner took children from USA many years ago to Canada. Have not been able to see them, no contact with ex-partner.

- Appears ex-partner reported unpaid support to Seattle or balance paid for support was never updated by Gov Departments.

- All we know is Passport agency said there was a note on my passport record for unpaid child support (which we understand is cause for not renewing a passport).

- Been a crazy week of surprises. If we had been informed of this issue, we could have taken action to correct before we needed a new passport for business travel.

Dear XXXXXa,

I understand how difficult this situation is for you, but it has to be handled properly.

Did the passport agency provide you with the contact information of the court or government agency that has placed a hold on your passport for unpaid child support?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes - several voice messages have been left at the agency's office but still no movement forward toward a resolution.

No return calls received, no indication of when anyone will return call and assist us with resolving the unpaid support issues.

Ready to take legal action if that will help get this issue resolved in the next two weeks (need new passport # XXXXX European Work Permits).

Dear XXXXXa,

Do you know as to what child support enforcement agency or court had reported delinquent child support obligation to the US Department of State / Passport Agency?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

- Not completely sure if it is Seattle, WA or Canada authorities

- My visit was to the Seattle Passport Agency and have been provided phone numbers in Washington DC

- Was told someone from DC would call but no time/date given when call would be received or from which agency.

All info given was very vague...

Dear XXXXXa,

Thank you for your follow up.

At appears at this point that you are having major difficulty in your efforts to obtain any specific information / explanation or resolution for the Department of State / US Passport agency and I would suggest that you do contact a local government law attorney to assist you in resolving this unfortunate passport revocation.

This local government law attorney will be able to contact your local passport agency or the US Department of State in Washington DC and will demand specific explanation as to why your passport has been revoked and how to resolve this situation so you can renew your passport.

You can find a reputable and experienced government law attorney by using these well trusted attorney information / referral websites:

I wish you the best of luck and GOD bless you!