How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask socrateaser Your Own Question

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36183
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a merchant seaman member of Seafarers International Union

Customer Question

I am a merchant seaman member of Seafarers International Union .I had a job on a Maersk Line ship and due to a violation of my contract shipping rights for time off work rules for tour of duty I lost my job.The agreement in contract states,after completing two trips 42 days each and have 84 days on vessel I am entitled a trip off for 42 days and then return to my job.I requested the Captain to have company contact union to ship seaman to be my relief for one trip.The Captain told me he received a message that I had to make another trip before I could have time-off I asked to see the message but he refused so I told him if he would not help resolve this and knowing that I was right I quit .I got off ship and found out I was right.My shipping rights were violated and since I should have still been able to complete 211 days of my tour of duty can file a lawsuit against both the company and union for causing this because they both did not even know the contract agreement for my job and this is the third time this has happened to me.The union and company solution is to just put me on another ship but that just violates other seaman rights to a job that have registered and this is what is called a back door job.I have been a union member for 35 years and no my rights,and the contract.I want to retire I am 60 years old and so can you help with an answer.Can I file a lawsuit for this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.

A union worker may sue both the employer and the union simultaneously. This is called a "hybrid suit," pursuant to Section 301 of the National Labor Relations Act.

The U.S. Supreme Court, in DelCostello v. International Brotherhood,462 U.S. 151, 103 S.Ct. 2281, 76 L.Ed.2d 476 (1983) held that the six-month statute of limitations prescribed by § 10(b) of the National Labor Relations Act, 29 U.S.C. § 160(b), applies to hybrid suits under § 301 -- where a plaintiff alleges that the employer has breached the collective bargaining agreement and that the union has breached its duty of fair representation.

There may be two issues here, which I cannot adequately address, but I can identify: (1) The registration of the ship that you were working on may affect the law under which your lawsuit would be brought, unless the shipping line has expressly consented to U.S. jurisdiction for the purposes of the collective bargaining agreement; and (2) The fact that you quit, could be used to claim that by quitting, the employer didn't actually breach any agreement to you, because, once you quit, you weren't entitled to the time off. Your rebuttal to this is that the employer had already breached the agreement by misrepresenting your rights to the time off, and so your quitting didn't terminate the contract as the employer was already in breach, and you were not in a position of being able to determine your rights until after you came ashore.

You will need a lawyer with both employment and admiralty law experience (a rarity, so be careful to check the references of whomever you interview).

For a referral, in California, see this link.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36183
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I already know a good lawyer in San Francisco but your answer will be a lot of help when I speak to him. Best Regards,Raymond

Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome and Good luck!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.