Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

can an auto insurance company continue a claim that you as

can an auto insurance company continue a claim that you as the primary holder did not authorize and can they continue it even if you wish to cancel it.
Hello and thanks for submitting this question. Please tell me a little more about the claim. That is, who was the claim filed on behalf of, and what was the claim filed for. I will be on and off line this evening, but I will definitely respond to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The insurance is in my name and my fiancee called the insurance to tell them that his truck(which was on my policy) was involved in the incident.They said its categorized as fire theft.There is an investigation pending.Again we never filled a claim but they are saying that we did.Also one of the representatives was saying that even after we withdraw that they may wish to continue with it(wasn't sure what that meant).

When a loss is reported, the insurance company will investigate regardless of a claim being filed or not. The insured is not required to file a claim unless they wish to receive payment for their loss. The insurance company will maintain an open file on the matter as long as there is a possibility of a legal claim being filed under the terms of the policy. That could be as long as several years.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.