Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in a mobile home community in Florida. I have just received

Customer Question

I live in a mobile home community in Florida. I have just received a letter from a person on the board of directors, stating that my girlfriend has been staying overnight at my home more than sixty times during a calendar year. the rule reads " Overnight guests are limited to a sixty day length of stay in any calender year, unless a longer stay is approved by the board of directors of the association. " I read it to mean, 60 overnight stays in a row. The way they read it I think is an invasion of privacy.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that the clause you provided does not subject itself to your interpretation, since it does not say in a row, it says only 60 days in a year and courts will give the clause the most common and obvious meaning in that since the 60 days was not specified to be continuous, it means just 60 days a year. Unfortunately, this is the problem with these type of homeowner/property associations, they have crazy rules restricting an owner's use of their own property. However, if a person buying property signs on for an association and the bylaws then they are bound by those bylaws and the FL courts do not hold this to be an invasion of privacy or a violation of your property rights because when buying in an association you agree to be bound by the association rules.

This is another perfect example why when clients come to our offices about purchasing in an association governed area, we tell them to run and not walk away. By buying in an association area, an owner gives up so much control and rights over the use of their property.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”