Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Question: My sister just got her 3rd DUI in California, she

Customer Question

Question: My sister just got her 3rd DUI in California, she plans on moving to Washington and skipping court dates.
I'm sure a warrant will be issued, if she is caught driving in Washington and they run her name will she be arrested? Also what is likely to happen to her in Washington?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 3 years ago.

TexLawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

If she skips her court date and moves to Washington, a warrant will be issued for her arrest.

TexLawyer :

Warrants are entered into a nationwide system, so if she encounters law enforcement in Washington, they will be aware of her California warrant. As such, she will be arrested and extradited back to California to face charges.

TexLawyer :

Skipping out on a court date would be a VERY bad idea.

JACUSTOMER-da2e8hkw- :

I knew that, but when gets pulled over in Washington will she be forced to go back to cali?

TexLawyer :

Besides the headaches being arrested and extradited (which can take several weeks, so she will have to sit in jail for that amount of time) will cause, she may face new criminal charges.

TexLawyer :

Yes, like I said, she will be extradited back to California if she is found with a California warrant in Washington.

JACUSTOMER-da2e8hkw- :

I wanted to make sure she would be extradited.

TexLawyer :

She definately will. Skipping out is a very, very bad idea.

JACUSTOMER-da2e8hkw- :

Also if her license is suspended in cali would the DMV know if she applied for a DL in Washington?

TexLawyer :

Yes. Every state (except two) are included in an interstate compact, where the states agree that if a license is suspended in one state, it is suspended in the others.

JACUSTOMER-da2e8hkw- :

I read because the cost is so high to extradite people she may not be extradited? Is that true?

JACUSTOMER-da2e8hkw- :

Which 2 just curious?

TexLawyer :

It is for things like traffic violations and petty offenses, but for a 3rd DWI, she will.

TexLawyer :

I just looked it up, and it looks like a few more have withdrawn. Currently the states that are not part of the compact are Georgia, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Tennessee.

JACUSTOMER-da2e8hkw- :

Good I want to make sure when she is caught, she will be pulled over I'm sure eventually. Another question if she is pulled over in another state, they see she has warrant and want to arrest her, what will happen to her kids that are in the car if there is no other licensed driver with her?

TexLawyer :

That is really up to the officer, but generally they will attempt to find a relative that can come pick them up. If they can't get in touch with someone immedeatly, they will call child protective services.

JACUSTOMER-da2e8hkw- :

ok good to know thank you for answering my questions, I just wanted to make sure she wasn't going to get away with it.

TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

TexLawyer :

Is there anything else I can do for you?

JACUSTOMER-da2e8hkw- :

No you

JACUSTOMER-da2e8hkw- :

have been great thank you

TexLawyer :

My pleasure. If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer. Have a great day.

TexLawyer :

Is there something else I can do for you?